A Taste of Northern Portugal Experience Overview
Join Alla Campagna Experiences Founder and veteran tour organizer Ralph Velasco for a truly unforgettable stay in the gorgeous city of Porto and in the Douro Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
This experience is available to just 6 to 10 participants and we have to work on a first come, first served basis.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You’ll want to wear good, sturdy walking shoes as Porto and the Douro Valley are made up of hilly terrain, often with lots of stairs, inclines, declines and at times gravel and occasionally rough dirt and stone paths, so be prepared to up your step count on this trip!
If you are even slightly unsure of your walking capability in these conditions it’s HIGHLY recommended that you purchase a quality set of telescoping walking sticks at your local outdoor supply store or online before arriving in Portugal.
“LOVED your presentation at The Refinery on Saturday!! You got me motivated to travel & I learned a lot!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME and for sharing your gift!!”
“Thanks again for such an amazing trip…my photography interest and appetite has completely grown since the trip and I have come back so invigorated and inspired. I’m excited to learn more and begin to take some higher quality pictures.”
“Thanks for a great trip. All went smoothly and I had a great time. I return a better photographer for certain and have a new perspective on what I see. You offer a great product – smart itineraries, hotels and food choices…I look forward to another trip.”
“The fun, adventure and friendship with you means everything to us, along with a great photo or two along the way!”
“Ralph, Morocco truly is magical! Thanks for a beautiful two weeks!”
“Our tour leader Ralph was one of the most knowledgeable trip leaders I have experienced over the past 40 years. He is a very experienced photographer and generously shared his knowledge, talents and experience with us. I think I learned more composition skills and believe I am a better photographer.”
“I really liked the [small] size of the tour. It felt like traveling with friends from very early on, and continued to feel that way. That last hotel we stayed in, the one in Budapest, was such a treat! Those views were fabulous, and it ended the trip in style. Ralph is a good trip leader… He wasn’t hovering, but he did stop and give tips and I felt well-tended. The local guides were all outstanding!”
“Ralph is an engaging and knowledgeable photographer that puts his world class experience in your hands. This trip has been off the charts.”
“The photo critique alone [at the Photography Boot Camp] is worth the price of admission.”
“Great examples clearly demonstrated the points Ralph made. His teaching methods made many things much simpler to understand. I thoroughly enjoyed this class!”
May 10 – 17, 2022
$4,900 per person in Double Occupancy
Please add $800 per person for Single Supplement*
*A single supplement is required for those choosing to have their own room throughout the trip.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO REGISTER
Please request the details of this trip by contacting us at .
To register, you can pay with a credit card via PayPal (to request invoice) or deposit a check directly into the PhotoEnrichment Programs, Inc. bank account at any Bank of America branch. Depositing a check affords a $50 per person discount.
We’ll send you all the payment details if you’ll contact us above.
Your participation is not confirmed until completed Reservation Form and Terms & Conditions, plus passport copy and payment in full, have been received.
- Private airport transfer on arrival in Porto (OPO).
- All accommodations in Porto (3 nights) and at Quinta Nova in the Douro Valley (4 nights) in a single or double occupancy room during trip dates.
- Meals: All Breakfasts (B), 3 Lunches (L) and 4 Dinners (D).
- Drinks at meals as outlined in the itinerary.
- Several wine tastings throughout the trip.
- Bottled water is provided each day.
- Services of local, English-speaking guide for select group activities and experiences.
- Train from Porto to Ferrão (please be able to manage your own luggage for the train ride).
- Group transfer from Quinta Nova back to Porto Airport at the end of the trip.
- Transportation for day trips organized as group activities, including several train rides and boat rides.
- All entry fees for group activities and experiences as outlined in the itinerary.
- Group tips for local guides, drivers and meals.
- Flights or other transportation to and from Portugal.
- Pre- or post-trip accommodations outside published tour dates, although we can help to set up extra nights, if necessary.
- Transportation to and from OPO outside of those outlined in the itinerary.
- Meals not specifically outlined in the itinerary as included.
- Drinks or other alcoholic beverages not specifically mentioned as included.
- Items of a personal nature.
Small Group Experience to Portugal with Ralph Velasco
- Guided Foodie Tour on the first evening in Porto
- Several orientation tours with a local, English-speaking guide
- Port wine tasting after group lunch across the Douro River in Vila Nova de Gaia followed by a cable car ride to the best viewpoint in the city
- Scenic boat ride in Porto
- Wine tastings with lunch in the Douro Valley
- Private boat ride on the river from Pinhão to Ferrão in the valley
- Two included train rides (one Porto to Ferrão and one Pocinho to Ferrão)
- So much more
“This was a great tour, with lots to do and see! We visited the large cities of Lisbon and Porto as well as other cities, towns, and villages throughout Portugal. I also took the extension through the Douro River Valley which was incredible!
We had many opportunities to take pictures both as part of the tour and in our free time. I feel the tour gave me a good feel for the wide variety of life in the cities and countryside of Portugal.”
~ Vivian N. (Portugal, Baltics)
“The group was great and I made some new long-term friends. Loved Portugal – other than the inclines 🙂 – the country is small but packed full of great sites.”
~ Nancy S. (Costa Rica, Armenia/Georgia, Romania, Portugal)
“A Taste of Portugal was an enjoyable and leisurely vacation in a country that seems to have everything. Historical sights, gourmet food, photo opportunities and a great hospitality atmosphere abound. The tour hit all the sights of interest and Ralph was the perfect tour leader and it was a good group fellow travelers.”
~ Mike C. (2019 Cuba, 2019 Portugal)
“Portugal – Great country, great culture, great tour, and fantastic wine!”
~ Laurie K. (France, Armenia/Georgia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Portugal, others)
Ralph Velasco is a U.S.-based travel photography instructor, author and international guide who has organized and led over 100 international tours and more than 100 domestic tours in the United States. His international trips have included Armenia & the Republic of Georgia, Egypt, Morocco, the Adriatic, Central Europe, Iceland, Bhutan & Nepal, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Spain, Portugal, Tuscany, Romania, Mexico’s Copper Canyon, Turkey and other locations.
Ralph is an award-winning travel photography blogger, podcast host and public speaker, and for more than 12 years he’s been the Founder and CEO (Chief Experience Officer) of PhotoEnrichment Adventures. Recently he created a new travel brand called Alla Campagna Experiences where the focus is less on photography in each destination and even more about the culture, people, food, drink and other unique activities and experiences they have to offer, all while staying in unforgettable properties, such as private castles, wine estates, one-of-a-kind boutique hotels, villas and converted mansions, mostly in and around the Mediterranean.
Subscribe to Ralph’s new YouTube channel, The Continental DRIFTER, as well as visit its accompanying travel blog at this link. At The Continental DRIFTER you can expect travel advice, interesting stories, expert interviews and easy-to-use photography tips for Baby Boomers and Gen X travelers.
Now, invest in yourself…get out and travel!
All activities and itinerary details are subject to change, but rest assured we’ll make every effort to provide a comparable alternative in the unlikely event changes to our schedule need to be made.